Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Kente Cloth Art Project

So last week I taught an amazing art lesson and we finally finished in on Monday :). Since we have been studying Black History, I decided to incorporate a project that dealt with African Americans from a different culture than the ones we typically see. So the students made designs on construction paper with paint, they made their designs look like kente cloth, which is what African people in Ghana typically wear for celebrations, and they hand weave the kente cloth. It is amazing how cool the different designs are! The different colors represent different things, yellow represents strength and royalty, purple = femininty, red = life and blood, blue = innocence, black = unity and people, green= nature and earth, and white = purification. Anyways, the kids had tons of fun doing the art project, I don't think I have heard a 2nd grade so quiet or seen a 2nd grade class so intent on their work :) I loved their designs and watching them make their creations. My teacher took some pictures so I am going to let you check them out! ENJOY! Oh and with this unit I incorporated warm and cool colors, the book My Many Colored Days by Dr. Suess is a great book to use to introduce students to warm and cool colors, plus they love the fun pictures throughout the book. In addition, the book itself could be used for making a pattern book with students later on :). Ok well I hope all is going well, it sounds like everyone is getting busier and busier! I can definitly relate!









3 comments: